Real estate professionals generally agree
that attention to the following areas will help your home to show better
and sell sooner. Most everything listed can be accomplished with reasonable
effort and minimal expense.
Things you need to do to help sell your home.
- Cleaning should
include baseboards, chair rails, corners, a/c vents, stove, oven, and
- Wipe down cabinets with cleaner or wood conditioner.
- Clean carpets and re-stretch areas if needed.
- Clean baths and include air freshener that leaves a clean scent, not
a strong artificial one.
- Remove personal items from vanity top (after shave, hair dryers, toothpaste).
- Clean out inside vanity cabinets to make them look roomy.
- Caulk around tub and shower if needed.
- Secure any loose corners or edges on wallpaper.
- Clear off kitchen counter tops (blenders, coffee makers, boxes, canisters).
- Remove magnets, calendars, photos from refrigerator. Clean off top
- Eliminate as much clutter as possible in all rooms. Store unnecessary
- Organize any bookshelves so that there is plenty of open space.
- Clean out closets. There should be a minimum number of items on the
floor and shelves.
- Kid’s rooms are difficult, but the same rules apply and are
more important in smaller rooms.
- If necessary to clear out the house, fill up the garage. Buyers understand
that you are moving.
- Make sure all lights have bulbs. Higher wattage bulbs are better.
- Open blinds and curtains to brighten up the inside.
- Keep beds made and clothes put away. Leave sinks empty and clean.
- Touch up or paint rooms if needed. Pay attention to door frames, and
outside window sills.
- Exterior doors should be easy to open and locks should work properly.
- Pay attention to the appearance of the front door.
This seems like a lot and does make family
life a little more difficult, but do the best you can and your efforts
will not be wasted. Remember, other sellers in your area may be working
from a similar list.
For the best results consider a professional
Home Stager. Ask for details.